This recipe serves
Crumble aux pommes
Apple & almond crumble
|For the apple compote|
|750g||-||Bramley apples peeled, cored and cut into 2cm dice|
|For the almond crumble|
|Half tsp||-||ground cinnamon|
|For the vanilla custard|
|4||-||free range egg yolks|
- Place the water, sugar and chopped apples into a lidded saucepan over a medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a lid, reduce the heat and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside until required.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c
- Spread the flaked almonds on the rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven until golden. Watch carefully as nuts scorch very quickly. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all the remaining dry crumble ingredients together.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the dry ingredients. Using your fingertips rub the butter lightly into the mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Spread the mixture on the tray previously used to toast the almonds. Bake for 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden.
- Remove from the oven, scatter over the toasted almonds, turn once more then set aside.
- Fill the sink to a depth of about 4 inches with very cold water. Add a couple of trays of ice cubes. Set a clean mixing bowl in the sink to chill.
- Place the milk and cream into a heavy based saucepan.
- Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds with the back of a knife. Add the split pod and seeds to the milk and cream.
- Over a medium heat bring the milk and cream mixture to the boil.
- Whilst the milk mixture is heating, place the egg yolks in another mixing bowl. Scatter over the caster sugar.
- Whisk the boiling milk into the egg yolks and sugar then pour this mixture back into the saucepan.
- Return mixture to the heat and stir using a wooden spoon until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Immediately strain the custard through the sieve into the chilled mixing bowl.
- Continue to stir the custard for a further 3 minutes to cool it down.
- Refrigerate until required.
- Divide the apple compote between the dessert bowls
- Top evenly with the almond crumble mixture
- Reheat in a pre-heated oven until piping hot
- Warm the custard but do not allow to boil
- Serve the crumbles with the warmed custard
- 1 medium lidded saucepan
- 1 medium heavy-based saucepan
- Rimmed baking sheet
- 2 large mixing bowls
- Medium sieve
- Small bowl
- Wooden spoon
- 8 ovenproof dessert bowls