This recipe serves
Tarte Au Limon
- Sweet pastry
(sufficient for one 26cm ring)
- Lemon tart mix
(for one tart)
- Unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Icing sugar
- Strong white flour
- egg size 3, free range
- egg yolks size 3 eggs, free range
- eggs size 3, free range
- sugar caster
- juice lemon fresh
- zest lemon (1 = 11g zest)
- cream double
- sugar icing
For the sweet pastry
- Mix the flour, butter and sugar together until the mixture becomes sandy in texture
- Add the whole egg and yolk, then mix together until it becomes a paste.
- Place the mixture into 330g cling film.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of one hour before use
For the pastry case
- Lightly grease a 26cm metal ring with melted butter.
- Roll out the sweet pastry between 2 sheets of cling film, to 4mm thick.
- Remove one layer of cling film, and place the naked side face down into the pastry ring.
- Allow the pastry to fall into the corner before working on the sides.
- Trim off any excess pastry.
- Allow the pastry case to rest for a further 30 minutes, refrigerated.
- To cook, line with inside of the pastry case with 2 layers of cling film.
- Fill with baking beans.
- Fold the edges of the cling film over to the middle, then cook in a pre-heated oven for approx. 30 minutes at 160oc.
- Lifting the cling film bag, remove the beans.
- Brush the inside of the pastry case with egg wash.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes in the oven.
- Allow to cool.
For the lemon tart filling
- Mix together the eggs, sugar and lemon juice.
- Add the zests and cream.
- Warm the lemon tart mixture over a bain-marie to 40oc.
- Pour into the base and cook in a pre-heated oven at 140oc for approx 30 Minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 120oc and cook for a further 10 minutes (the internal temperature when cooked will be 82oc).
- Allow to cool.
- Dust the lemon tart with icing sugar, caramelise with a blow torch.
- Cut the tart into 8 equal portions, serve.
- 26cm steel pastry case
- Cling film
- Rolling pin
- Baking beans
- Mixing bowl
- Pastry brush
- Blow torch
Regional French food
This recipe originates from:Provence