Don’t be fooled by the nasty things masquerading as nougat in cheap chocolate boxes mentioned in the song. Though sweet nougat is delicious, easy to make and could solve your little present problems at Christmas (too early?) Back to the song, anyone know what a Savoy Truffle is?
know what a Savoy Truffle is?
Not till Sep, so no rush
- Egg whites 210 g
- Caster sugar 360 g
- Glucose sugar 300g
- Water 100g
- Clear pure honey 440 g
- Nibbed almonds 400 g
- Whole peeled hazelnuts 150g
- Whole peeled pistachios 150g
- Roasting tray
- 2 Heavy saucepan
- Whisk Metal
- Blow Torch
- Large Bowl
- Baking Tray
- Rice Paper
- Rolling Pin
For: 1 kg
- Roast the hazelnuts & almonds in a pre heated oven @ 170oc for 8 – 12 minutes until golden.
- Add the pistachio nuts, keep warm until required.
- using saucepan, bring the honey to 125oc. then reduce the heat under it until it reaches 134oc.
- At the same time, in a separate pan, bring the water, sugar & glucose to 150oc.
- Once the two temperatures have been reached, mix them together
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Reduce the speed and slowly pour the boiling sugar onto the egg whites.
- Increase the speed again, continue whisking for 4 to 5 minutes, until the nougat is creamy
- Using a blow torch, heat the sides of the whisking bowl to dry out the nougat.
- Test a small sample of the nougat in iced water. it should crack once cooled.
- Continue this process until the nougat is slightly golden in colour and cracks in texture.
- (this drying process may take up to 15 minutes).
- Add the roasted nuts and fold together.
- Line a baking tray with rice paper.
- Pour the nougat onto the rice paper.
- Place the second piece of rice paper on top of the nougat, and using a rolling pin, roll it out evenly to 15mm thick, removing any air bubbles.
- Allow it to set before cutting and wrapping into individual pieces.
Seems like a lot of work, but it is worth it and dare I say it this early it makes a perfect Christmas present